Saturday, October 1, 2011

Festiva Madness trip Days 5, 6 & 7 overview.

Sorry for the delayed postings... haven't been able to get to a computer for a few days. This post will be short and sweet with photos to follow in the next day or two.

Day 5 was an awesome day. Started with a beautiful Kentucky backroad drive from the hotel to the Fort Boonesborough Museum. Well worth the visit.

Next stop was Carter Caves State Park. Took a tour through the X Cave. Our guide, Kenny, obviously had a passion and enthusiasm for caves and what's in them. Very informative.

The drive from the caves to Washington DC was harrowing to say the least. We had heavy rains, unfamiliar roads, poor lane markings, darkness and headlights aimed a little high due to extra loads in the car. We were eventually able to tuck in behind someone who seemed to know the road which helped a lot. Made it to our hotel safely.

Thanks again to the Hills for the use of the Tom Tom! Highly recommended for finding your way around in unfamiliar places.

Day 6 started out a bit rainy. Debated taking umbrellas and jackets for our day in DC but decided to leave them behind which turned out to be the right choice. Managed to make it to four museums... I'll regale you with details in a future post. Our hotel was literally a fifteen minute walk from the Air and Space Museum. Went to see Oklahoma, the musical, in the evening. Very well done... a little different than the movie. Sharon's ankle had really swollen up by the end of the day so we adjusted the plans for Day 7.

Day 7 started with driving Sharon, B, E, and I to the Library of Congress and then parking the car at Union Station. I walked back to meet them and went through the strictest security experienced during our stay in DC. Had to empty my pockets and even take off my belt! After a stop at Union Station for lunch we were able to walk to the Building Museum. This is the building in which the Presidential Inaugural Ball in held. We left DC around three-thirty which means rush hour! Thanks to Tom Tom and HOV lanes we were able to avoid the bulk of the congestion... probably saved at least half an hour so five in a Festiva paid off big time! Made it to Williamsburg in good time. Our hotel was,shall we say, disappointing but we essentially got what we paid for. If it had a redeeming feature it was only a five minute drive to our morning's destination.

Well I have to get off the lobby computer. I'll update again in a couple of days when we get to St. Louis.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it safe despite crazy roads. Can't wait to hear more about DC!