Monday, October 10, 2011

Festiva Madness trip... day 13

After a hearty breakfast we headed out to Mount Rushmore. On our way out of Rapid City we spotted another Festiva! It was a white GL Sport and of course we waved.

Festiva spotting...

Had a very pleasant drive out to Mount Rushmore not knowing exactly what to expect. What an amazing accomplishment! The photos I'd seen before do not adequately convey the scale of the place... we were all just blown away. We took one of the "Ranger Walks" which took about 30 minutes and our Ranger, Charlie, was very knowledgeable and injected a great sense of humor into his presentation. Took a look at the artist's studio and a very well done video presentation while we there too.

Not too far to go.

Modern version of the wooden bridge. I just thought it was really cool.

Early sighting

We're here!!!
B, E, and I having a look from afar.

The presidents and us. Thanks to the lady who literally got on her knees to take this photo!

I, B and E enjoying a rest at the end of our visit.

After spending the morning with George, Thomas, Teddy and Abe we headed off on the next leg of our trip. Destination... Worland Wyoming to visit Jeff (gottafesty) and his daughter, C. Little did we know that this was going to be quite a drive! Headed out on Highway 16 to Moorcroft WY where we turned on to I-90. Headed west to Buffalo where we left the interstate and back on to Highway 16. This is where the real fun began. We hadn't noticed until this time that our route was to take us over the Powder River Pass which is up at 9666 feet! The Festiva performed admirably but we had to be a little cautious on the way down because of the warped brake rotor we had developed earlier in the trip. If I could summarize the drive across Wyoming in one word I would have to pick spectacular.

Follow the yellow brick road.... wait a minute... it's red!

Entering Buffalo Wyoming

On the uphill side of Powder River Pass

At the top....

... with all of us!
On the way down

Onto the flats and away to Worland.
 We met Jeff in Worland then followed him out to his home. We had a great time and another awesome home cooked meal. Thanks for the hospitality.

C and B hadn't seen each other for a couple of years!

We left Worland just after 7:30pm and headed off to our hotel in Billings Montana. No photos on this stage as it was dark. There was quite a stretch where we couldn't see any lights off to either side, none behind us nor any in front! It felt quite literally that we were in the middle of nowhere. After two hours, forty five minutes and one deer sighting we made it safely to Billings and headed straight to the room and off to bed. Next stop... home!

No comments:

Post a Comment