|Engine bay before mods...|
This was all made necessary by cramming in an air conditioning compressor along side the turbocharger. The first version was made from three sections of hose cut from a couple of stock pieces, some 1" hose connectors and half a dozen screw type clamps. It didn't look pretty but it worked even though the connectors were 1/8" smaller than they should have been. The clamps in the middle of the hose also added a bit of a challenge trying to wiggle the hose into what is a fairly tight spot.
|Original version. Not pretty, but functional|
While researching options for custom radiator hoses I came across a product made by Gates called PowerGrip SB clamps. These are a black thermoplastic heat shrink clamp that replaces the typical screw type. They make for a much cleaner install so I decided to use them for the joints in the middle of the hose. They have to be cut to remove them so I kept the screw clamps at each end.
In addition to the clamps I also picked up some 1 1/8" stainless steel hose joiners to return the assembled hose back up to its full diameter. I also started with new a couple of new lower hoses that I had on the shelf for a while.
|Here's what I started with.|
I attempted to make the new hose with only two sections but it didn't quite work. I made sure to mark the alignment of each section before shrinking the new clamps into place because the joint isn't moving once that's done!
|Assembled... much nicer!|
|Side by side comparison.|
One other little improvement I did, and forgot to mention in last week's post, involves the intake pipe and hose. I had used a section of radiator hose to connect the hose coming off the turbo and the intake pipe.
|Intake connector before...|
It was functional but didn't quite fit or look right. When I got this I just went ot my local auto parts store asking for a radiator hose close to the correct diameter with a 90º bend in it! To replace it I purchased a silicone elbow and a stainless joiner to replace the section of exhaust pipe I had used initially.
|The finished product. Looks cleaner and more professional.|
While these new hoses won't necessarily make any difference in the performance of the Festiva they do help dress things up a bit. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!.